Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Wireless on Latitude D820

The wireless hasn't worked for awhile on this. Didn't know why, but when I investigated today, I looked at /etc/sysconfig/hwconf and modprobe.conf and found that the non-existent driver iwl3945 was associated with eth1. Not sure how that happened, but the result was that ifup-ifcfg-eth1 would tell me to connect a cable to the device -- I guess it assumed the tg3 or some wired driver as a substitute. I did the following and rebooted, which seemed to work:

modprobe -r ipw3945
modprobe ipw3945

And I may have not needed to do this, but in modeprobe.conf, I manually changed iwl3945 to ipw3945. The Wireless card comes and goes in hwconf, so I'm not sure that changing that file does much. Anyways, after doing these things and rebooting, (oh, and double checking that ifcfg-eth1 is assigned to eth1 and that the GUI Network interface also shows eth1 being tied to the same driver and hardware), it worked again.

No comments: