Saturday, July 7, 2007

IRAF/PyRAF

IRAF is a free, widely-used image analysis tool. Installation went off without hitch (at least so far), following their instructions. I would love to rewrite them to be a little more transparent, at least to me. You could almost write a wrapper to install everything, except for maybe the creation of the IRAF user. It would be great if they could do away with that step, and I'm actually not sure why it's needed.

PyRAF was a different story this time around. I've installed it before with success, but this time has been more troublesome. There was a recent update (15 Jun 2007), which may be why things are things are different. I'm using their source dist'ns everywhere (instructions) I hit a problem when running the config step for tcl/tk, in which I get an error at line 6208. I'm not sure what the problem is here. Is it FC6? Or maybe I don't have all the right paths defined? I've tried dumb things like commenting this text out, but it doesn't fix the problem. I also tried using rpms and yum repositories for later versions of tcl/tk, but I think I really need to compile from source. I'm dropping this for now, and I'll come back to it when I have more patience.

No comments: